Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Uh oh!"

Kids are the best critics when it comes to their books. Many times we adults pick apart a book, criticizing it for one reason or another. I remember getting a set of books to review that made me want to poke my eyes out every time I looked at them. But, the kids loved them. Isn't that what is most important?

I highly value the opinions of children. So, today I decided to take the first part of my children's book to one of my most critical groups: my students.

I teach ages 3-6. We often read chapter books in the afternoon, as the older children stay with me full day. I have read many a review book to them and they are always honest about their opinions.

I quietly walked around the room, whispering, "I have a new story to share." That way, only those that wanted to hear it would come over. They could stay working at their individual activities if they chose.

A small group of about 10 assembled. I opened up the notebook to start reading.

"Wait, that's not a real book!"

I ignored the comment and got started. Two children walked away during the introduction.

Okay, I knew it was a little wordy. I was thinking it should be shortened, or it could be a separate introductory book on its own.

Then, I got into the part that was primarily written last night. They got really into it. When I got to the stopping point, they exclaimed, "Uh oh!" They then started to have a discussion about all of the possibilities about the trouble in which the puppies had found themselves. And they demanded chapter 2. When I told them it wasn't yet written, they told me I had better get working on it.

Even one of the kids who had walked away told me that she was still listening while she did her work. She liked the story and wanted it to continue.

I took that as a good sign...

1 comment: